Beet Greens, Roasted Pepper & Feta Quiche
is a recipe I created at my teahouse about 6 years ago. I am half Polish and am used to eating boiled beet greens. I also know that feta cheese goes well with beets, so why not beet greens. If you prefer goat cheese to feta cheese use that instead. I have used goat cheese many times in this recipe instead of feta and it tastes delicious. The photo and the recipe were used for a Journal-Sentinel article about quiches. They asked for the recipe and I gladly obliged.
Makes 6 servings
8 large eggs
2 cups heavy whipping cream or whole milk
¼ teaspoon salt or to taste
¼ teaspoon black pepper or to taste
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 cups chopped beet greens, tightly packed, blanched and squeezed dry (see note)
½ to ¾ cup crumbled feta cheese
½ cup chopped roasted red peppers
1 (9-inch) deep-dish pie shell or homemade crust
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, whisk eggs and cream.
3. Add salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
4. Stir in beet greens, feta, and roasted red peppers.
5. Pour mixture into piecrust and bake in preheated oven for an hour, or until golden brown and set.
6. Let sit at least 10 minutes before slicing.
7. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Note: If beet greens are unavailable, fresh spinach or Swiss chard can be substituted.